Selected award categories on a thematic basis working with School Officers. Heriot Watt conducted workshops conducted at their 1st Semester Student Voice Conference, asking “What makes a good lecturer?” which influenced thinking on the categories. HWUSA wanted to avoid a generic “Best Teacher” award, and instead emphasise what is important to the students. Awards were given for the following:
- The Guiding Hand award: this award is to recognise an academic mentor/supportive lecturer for the support they have given to students over the year.
- The Master/Mistress of Vision award: this award is to recognise a lecturer who uses Vision to effectively engage students with their learning.
- Thinkers award: this award is to recognise the most challenging lecturer who encourages self learning, debate and critical thinking amongst students.
- Refreshing award: this award is to recognise the most innovative lecturer, who is creative, makes the lectures enjoyable and interesting
- Support Staff award: this award is to recognise admin or technical support that has meant a lot to students over the year.
- Switched On award: this award is to recognise the most engaging lecturer who is exciting, enthusiastic and dynamic, and makes the difficult easy.